Replace hydraulic lifters? - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HELP! After 107,000 relatively trouble-free miles my 1996 Millenia L developed an engine noise that sounded to me like a bad bearing on alternator/ac/idler etc. Dealer disconnected the belt and the noise persisted so they opened up the valve cover (the gasket of which was replaced at 98,000) and determined that it must be the hydraulic lifters and that they must be replaced at a cost of $2,400!!! I've searched this forum and have not found anyone to have such an issue.

The engine runs like a sewing machine and the noise abates at higher RPM's. It has been agressively maintained for its entire life.

The noise appeared suddenly two weeks and is sometimes intermitant, however I hear it most all the time now.

Has anyone been down this road?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member

Many, many people with the 2.5 have been down this road. Before you hand $2400 over to the devil try a few things first.
1) Do a seafoam treatment...search on here, you'll find it.
2) If that fails, wait a week or two and do a kerosene flush (PM me for instructions on this)
3) If that still doesn't solve the problem, then you have two options...one is to live with the hla tick, and the second is to replace the hla's. If you live with it, then the drawbacks you'll face are the annoying tick, and possibly worse gas mileage because the knock sensor may pick up the tick as knock and retard timing. If you change them, you don't need to have them changed at mazda, any shop can fix this for a lot cheaper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

Words should be a little wild, for they are the assault of thought on the unthinking.

He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool ... shun him.
He who knows not and knows that he knows not, is ignorant ... teach him.
He who knows and knows not that he knows, is asleep ... wake him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, is a wise man ... follow him.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member

Does'nt sound like lifters to me, they make a tick-tick sound varying with engine speed, either at coldstart a few seconds or warm as well when a oilchange is needed, you might consider them to be an oilchange alert. And I guess all of them wouldn't collapse at the same time. I'd say you're being screwed. I'm no expert though, they'll probably give a second opinion soon

1998 Xedos 9 2,5 MT (5-speed)
2000 Xedos 9 2,5 AT
2002 BMW 530i Touring stickshift

Originator of the Mazdaworld Old Boys Team!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Banned

Check your oil level, and stop running 5W30...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Just start running some straight 40 weight dino oil, and keep the level on the dipstick at "Full".

That will quiet it down, then just turn up the stereo and live with it.

It is not worth putting that kind of money in your car.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Thanks for the input guys. Most importantly you gave me comfort that what the dealer was telling me was correct. I plan on keeping the car for many years to come so I went ahead and had the lifters replaced.

I've maintained this car thoroughly for 10 years and as recently as January, someone asked me if it was a new car. Now that this repair is complete the engine sounds like new, which as you know, means it hardly makes any sound at all.

Had I not already had the dealer open her up, I probably would have tried to use some chemicals to buy time, but the noise came on so suddenly that I paniced. No regrets though, I would have eventually fixed it.

Thanks again for all the advice.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mase64
good to hear

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 02:51 PM
Mazda Newbie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My car is doing this after oil kept losing pressure and not telling me after I had just changed the oil. Ya you can't live with it because the car wants to shut down and barely drives
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page