2001 Mazda Millenia Transmission Problems/VSS - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2001 Mazda Millenia Transmission Problems/VSS

I have a 2001 Mazda Millenia I purchased about 2 weeks ago and I seem to have a slight problem with the transmission changing into gears. Unpon further reading about this car and common transmission issues, I believe my shifting is caused by the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). I did a little inspection of the VSS and determined that the harness has been complete cut and the only thing I saw was two attached wires (Red with Black Stripe and Green with White Stripe)to a female side connector to attach to the VSS. The driving conditions of the car are it has a flashing HOLD light, only when I engage to drive on a highway, more than 60 MPH. Another thing is that the car will not shift into "Fourth Gear" as it appears to be 3k RPM at 65 MPH. The car drives fine in the city and the Hold Light never comes on. The car was throwing codes P0740-TCC Circuit Malf. and P1522 Speed Sensor. Is it possible that the severing of the wires (being cut) from the VSS will trigger these type of issues. I tried to locate the rest of the cut wires and where they lead to but to no avail I could not find them. I went to a local junk yard too and when I located a Millenia with a speed sensor....it seems that the harness is in the same wire loom as the starter relay. I went back and checked my car and I never saw any wires that would go to the VSS inside my starter relay. I want to know where exactly does this harness connected too, ECU or TCU and is it possible to run two new wires to the VSS from the originating point with the hopes of correcting this problem. I have attached two pictures of a VSS and the actual harness as it looks to me with it cut. Whatever imput you could provide will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120818_162026.jpg
Views:	3108
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	2681   Click image for larger version

Name:	12206619_1325263500.jpg
Views:	3057
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	2682  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 08:21 PM

Hey, I'm having the same problem. First the car would shift to second gear at 5k rpm and it will hesitates . At 60mph it will surge and hesistate because it's stuck in 3rd gear. The problem is your vehicle speed sensor. the best thing to do is buy a new one which is about $120 at rockauto. to locate the speed sensor just remove your driver side wheel it's located on the transmission shaft it's like an L shape and the connector is located behind the engine firewall close to the battery area, it's a two wire connector i believe it's red and white. i tried soldering mines together but that didn't work. Its best just to replace it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0716121055.jpg
Views:	18195
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	2683   Click image for larger version

Name:	0716121054.jpg
Views:	14334
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	2684  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Mazda Newbie

I just bought a 2000 millenia at a auction today and when I took off, right away it shifted hard and wont go into 4th gear. I assumed the worst and have been shopping for trannys. Its throwing a p0734 code which I believe is 4th gear out of ratio or something. A speed sensor couldn't fix my issue could it. The car has 155000 miles and I dont know the history of it. Any info will help. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 02:36 AM
Gold Member

that sensor you posted a picture of is the vehicle speedometer sensor. it is what makes your speedometer register. If you needle moves and the wire is cut something very weird is going on (or they spliced the wire for the speedometer into something else)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Actually the needle is moving....I can see the speed just fine. Where exactly does the harness originate from, I'm taking the TCU but where in the car is it?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 10:17 AM

Sometimes the needle will move like mines but also you car wouldn't shift gears properly. When I disconnected my VSS my needle moves a couple of time but I get a code p0720 but once I connect it back it move but it don't shift properly and i get a code p1720 . And now while driving on the highway only my Tcs light comes on and the car wouldn't go past 60mph and I keep hearing hiss sound , it sounds like its coming from under the CAC intake

Sent from my iPod touch using AG Free
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

How many "speed sensors" does this car have. The one that disconnected is mounted on top of the transmission on the driver side right beside the starter.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 12:06 PM

That's the speed sensor. It's in the area of the neutral switch

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 06:16 PM
MazdaWorld Member

My car is throwing no codes and shifts into every gear reasonably smoothly.. However when I start it in the morning or after being parked for a few hours and start driving, the car will shift into second gear fine but won't shift into 3rd until around 3500rpm.. Once I drive for about 2mins it doesn't do it anymore.. I guess my question is, is this a sign of a faultering vss or other sensor?.. Also, anyone know a commonly used AT fluid or additive that works well on these cars?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:15 AM

Check your transmission oil level and also when was the last time you change your transmission fluid?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page