'93 Protege has slow battery drain
My good old '93 Protege DX SOHC has been a trooper, now with over 430k miles. I replaced the engine at 350k, and it runs as strong as ever. I have had some radiator fan problems, where the fan will not stop running even after the ignition switch has been turned to the "OFF"/"Lock" position and the key removed (after the usual time to cool the hot engine/coolant after running with the A/C on during hot summer days), but I thought I had fixed that problem for some time.
Now, it seems that even with the switch turned to the "Off"/"Lock" position and the key removed, when I test the main fuseblock fuses under the hood, I'm still getting 12 volts going through the female connectors in the fuseblock, when I remove the fuses, and put my voltmeter leads into some (not all) of the female connectors that the male fuse connectors insert into. In particular, there are "hot" female connectors in one of the big "Cooling Fan" (not the 30A "Cooling Fan" fuse on the right side of the fusebox) connectors, and one of the big "Fuel Inj" connectors. My radiator cooling fan immediately starts up when I turn the ignition switch to the "On" position, even with a completely cold engine.
The result of all this seems to be that over a fairly short period of time, even a brand new battery will become completely discharged, even to the point of not being able to take a charge again. Now, I have to disconnect the negative battery cable/terminal completely to keep the battery from losing almost 0.5V (i.e., from 12.50 volts on my voltmeter to 12.00 volts or less) PER DAY (i.e., overnight or in a 24 hr period). I know that even good batteries lose a little charge when you don't start and run a car for a long period (i.e., over 30 days or more), but this drain actually will kill a new battery in just a week or less.
I want to sell the car to a man who can appreciate its otherwise fine, economical operation, and needs basic transportation badly, but I don't want to sell it until I fix this electrical issue.
Any ideas of how to go about troubleshooting this problem? I have a Haynes Service Manual for the car...will be looking into it as I await any suggestions or ideas from the forum!