1990 626 intake resonator box - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy

Last night, I started my 1990, fuel-injected 626, 2.2, non-turbo. It cranked for a second then there was a loud KLUNK! in the engine compartment ... sounded like metal-on-metal. It had trouble starting and would die under 2500 RPM. I saw that the intake resonator box, located under the intake hose to the throttle body, had separated into 2 pieces (I guess 207,000 miles could do that). I snapped it back together (it won't stay that way for long) and there was big improvement in starting and it runs fine if you keep the RPM @ 1000, but it still won't idle w/o dying.

Do you (anyone) think a leaking, broken resonator could cause the problem? Maybe the loud sound I heard was it blowing apart. Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 06:05 PM
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Resonator Box exploded in 1991 mazda 626

My resonator box exploded last December. It was a very loud pop or bang. I think because the distributor cap was going bad and was causing miss and crossfires(I believer I fixed this problem with a new cap). This is an educated guess. for some reason fuel must have gotten into the intake system. I've been looking for a resonator replacement. I hope to find used one someplace. In the mean time I had my dad machine a smooth plug out of a pvc plug he had. It seems to work fine in place of the box. However the resonator smooths out the air flow (reducing noise). I don't know if not having one makes my mass air flow sensor work harder or not since it is a vane type airflow meter. But if the car ever miss fires again. I would like the have resonator in there so something else more important doesn't blow up. You can find a new resonator here. www_oemautopartsandaccessories_com (The site won't let me post a link) part number F20213195B I believer the part fits on 1989 to 1992 626 models. Check before purchasing. The car absolutely will not run with a major air leak between the mass airflow meter and the throttle body. That duct also cracks with time and causes lean fuel running because you are getting "pirate" air into the system that isn't been measure. Also..there are articles on the web for deleting the intake resonator. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page