Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
1991 B2600i Clutch went out!

Hi.

I'm new here. Intro and pics posted here - [deleted url]
Oops, can't post links yet. Please look in the "new-member-introduction-area" for my post.

Truck is new to me, again. Although my brother & I drove it back from VA a couple of months ago, with no real problem, a few days ago the clutch went out. Peddle goes to floor, with no resistance (only the return spring). Oddly enough, this happened on my back from getting it inspected for new plates. By the way, it passed!

Get it back in my driveway and see that clutch reservoir is low, very low. Tell my brother, he says, "Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you to check the the reservoir before every drive. Even if I don't drive it, it gets low." Thanks bro!

Looking at the master cylinder, it looks damp. Rusty and damp. Top it up with fresh fluid. Now I can pump the pedal a several times and get some clutch action, and engage the gears, but the pressure does no last. Next day, no pressure. And, the fluid is already very dark.

So, based on wetness, I'm thinking it at least needs a new grommet (?)between the reservoir and master cylinder, but I can't seem to find it online.

I don't want to mess with bleeding, until I get the leak fixed. If the leak can't be fixed with a new grommet, I guess I could replace (or rebuild) the whole master cylinder. Maybe the slave too.

I also notice a short piece of rubber hose, on the firewall, between the solid tubing of the clutch lines. Connections are rusty too (and perhaps damp). What's that piece of rubber line for? If I can get it part, I figure there are going to some o-rings. Are those available?

Well today's goal was to see if anyone knows where to buy that grommet, and if that incremental repair plan makes.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Eric W

[edit] Sorry, posted the same picture twice and don't see how to delete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190123_164537675.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	9179   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190123_164552081 (1).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	9181   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190123_164552081.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	9183  

Last edited by EricJRW; 01-27-2019 at 07:34 PM. Reason: posted same picture twice. trying to remove. can't figure out how to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 09:52 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJRW View Post
I forgot to tell you to check the the reservoir before every drive.

So, based on wetness, I'm thinking it at least needs a new grommet (?)between the reservoir and master cylinder, but I can't seem to find it online.

I don't want to mess with bleeding, until I get the leak fixed. If the leak can't be fixed with a new grommet, I guess I could replace (or rebuild) the whole master cylinder. Maybe the slave too.

I also notice a short piece of rubber hose, on the firewall, between the solid tubing of the clutch lines.
Well today's goal was to see if anyone knows where to buy that grommet, and if that incremental repair plan makes.

I've owned a 1988 B-truck since back in 1994. I will tell you that the clutch hydraulic systems on these trucks seem to have issues. I've replaced the clutch master and clutch slave cylinders on my truck several times with new (don't waste your time on a rebuild kit), and maybe consider getting those with lifetime warranties. I ALWAYS flush out the entire system when I do that as well.

I've also replaced BOTH flexible clutch lines on my B2200, don't know if your B2600i truck has just one, so I suggest getting new there too.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Garage
Thank you for that info.

I am pretty sure my clutch line has only one flexible section (the one up on the firewall).

Trying to figure out if just the seal/grommet between Reservoir and Master Cylinder is available.

I think that would be a good place to start before tackling the other problems.

Warm regards,

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:23 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I am pretty sure my clutch line has only one flexible section (the one up on the firewall).

Could be, I'm only familiar with B2200 models.

Quote:
Trying to figure out if just the seal/grommet between Reservoir and Master Cylinder is available.

Search out to see if dealer part 030549686B fits your model and is available. I know that years ago I was able to get a rubber seal for the brake master cylinder at a dealer.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussboy View Post
Search out to see if dealer part 030549686B fits your model and is available. I know that years ago I was able to get a rubber seal for the brake master cylinder at a dealer.
Good idea!

Sunrise Red 1991 Mazda B2600i SE-5 4X4 with 2.6L engine & over 250,000 miles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page