LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

First post here =D
I have a 2004 Mazda 3, and I don't know if I have ABS or not. I looked up my VIN on the Mazda website, but it just gives the trim and the color, etc. I looked on google, and I can't find an answer, and I searched through here. How do I know if I have ABS on my car?

Here is what the mazda website gives me: Mazda 3, trim is S4.

thanks in advanced
--Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

The easiest way to find out (without investigating further) is to slam the brakes while doing say 40 mph, ideally on wet tarmac, gravel or snow. If you feel the brake pedal vibrating and the brakes are making noise, you have ABS. If the wheels just block, you don't.

Here all relatively new cars like yours are equipped with ABS, except possibly the cheapest model of some tiny cars.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

1998 Xedos 9 2,5 MT (5-speed)
2000 Xedos 9 2,5 AT
2002 BMW 530i Touring stickshift

Originator of the Mazdaworld Old Boys Team!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
The easiest way to find out (without investigating further) is to slam the brakes while doing say 40 mph, ideally on wet tarmac, gravel or snow. If you feel the brake pedal vibrating and the brakes are making noise, you have ABS. If the wheels just block, you don't.

Here all relatively new cars like yours are equipped with ABS, except possibly the cheapest model of some tiny cars.

Oh, and welcome to the forum![/b]
See, I did that on snow, and I just skidded. It's my wife's car, and I was telling her that she doesn't have it, now there's a huge argument over it and I have car parts on the line here. (There's a running bet going on, my new turbo) We looked at the placard on the drivers side door, etc. . . she says it has it, but I have never felt it, ever. She slides all over the ice when she brakes, and I told her with ABS, it should reduce the skidding. Anyways, I don't know how else to check. haha

I have a Saab 9-5, and I can feel the ABS kick in, whenever my car needs it. I use my wife's car to do doughnuts in the parking lot, because I can't do it in my car. =D

--Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Can't you turn off the ESP?

I'm sure there would be a warning light if there was an ABS malfunction in the Mazda 3.

Now if you need hard proof it has no ABS, why don't you ask wifey to point out the ABS control unit under the hood?

Then, as a final move, compare the brake setup with the Saab, ABS control units are easily detected

2000 Xedos 9 2,5 AT

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
Can't you turn off the ESP?

I'm sure there would be a warning light if there was an ABS malfunction in the Mazda 3.

Now if you need hard proof it has no ABS, why don't you ask wifey to point out the ABS control unit under the hood?

Then, as a final move, compare the brake setup with the Saab, ABS control units are easily detected [/b]
When I looked through the owners manual, it shows the ABS icon for the dash, circle with "ABS" in the circle. When I turn on the car, it shows all of the lights that may turn on, and I can't find the ABS icon in the dash. How does the ABS control unit look like underneath the hood?

As for the Saab, I turn off the ESP, and pull the Emergency Brake, but I can't spin as well as the Mazda.

--Michael
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

It is a metal block, which has all the brake lines attached to it, as well as a control unit and an electric motor supplying the power.

In my Mazda 6 it looks like this, placed in front of the driver side firewall:

2000 Xedos 9 2,5 AT

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Quote:
It is a metal block, which has all the brake lines attached to it, as well as a control unit and an electric motor supplying the power.

In my Mazda 6 it looks like this, placed in front of the driver side firewall:[/b]
If the car had ABS, would the car have have the ABS light that would come on, during start up?

--Michael
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
If the car had ABS, would the car have have the ABS light that would come on, during start up?

--Michael[/b]
If you have side and curtain airbags, you also have ABS. In 04 and 05 it was known as the SAB/SAC/ABS package.
Another way to tell is to pull a wheel and look for a single very thin wire going to a sensor that attaches to... ummm. the control arms IIRC.
And there should also be an indicator in the tach that comes on with the key, but goes out shortly after the engine starts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Coming Soon: Drilled rotors; More LEDs!!! (Notice: This list is now shorter, like my shifter.) <^_^>
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 08:33 AM
Mazda Newbie

well normaly you would see the light but I been hearing about abs light malfunction where the light dosent com on or even comes on late.drive the car agen this time go to45 or 50 and than slam on the brake. non snow if that dosent take a corner at 35 to 45 mph if you dont start to slow down autamaticly you eather dont have it or the sensor is burnt out. remember abs is part of tractioncontrole.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 02:06 AM
Mazda Newbie

Check the fuse box under the glove box. If you have the fuses for abs, you have abs. If not, you don't
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page