Mazda World Forum banner

1972 Mazda 808

14K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  declutter517 
#1 ·
I've noticed that there's not too much info available on the first generation Mazda 808. I'm a former owner, so I thought I'd kick in my 2 cents worth. I purchased my brilliant blue 808 coupe new from a Mazda dealer here in Canada in 1972. I think this was the first year the model was available. Up until then, I had been driving VW beetles, and had considered buying a new VW Super Beetle, however at the time it was about $500 more than the 808 ...so, I went with the 808. I paid $2895 (plus local sales tax). The Super Beetle was about $3400 at the time.

The 808 was a GREAT little car. Two door coupe, black vinyl interior, 4 speed standard transmission, rear wheel drive, full-size spare. I can't remember the engine size ...maybe 1500cc. This was my FIRST brand new car ...I was 22 years old at the time, and had just got a full-time job as a disc jockey. Paid $250 a month! I had the world by the tail!!! I kept the car for about 4 years, and put about 144,000 miles on it. In those days, that was a LOT of miles ...and we figured a car was pretty well worn out at that point. My 808 gave pretty decent mileage ...38 mpg on highway trips. This car had virtually NO pollution equipment on it. I remember a friend bought a 1975 model on my recommendation, and by then it was loaded down with pollution control gadgetry, and he was lucky to get 25 mpg with it. By 1976, and Mazda Canada was in a bit of tail-spin, and the local dealer had gone through some turmoil service-wise. So I traded the 808 in on 1976 Honda Civic 4 door wagon priced at $4,600. Can't remember what I got for the 808 ..but in hind-sight I certainly should have kept it!!

If you go to the Wikipedia article on the Mazda Familia, there's a brief mention of the 808, and the photo they show of an abandoned 808 is exactly the same as the car I owned. I'm new to this forum, so as soon as I figure it out, I'll post a couple of photos of my car.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.