Mazda World Forum banner

2008 Mazda 5 transaxle issues?

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ByW 
#1 ·
My 2008 Mazda 5 with 69K miles has been great. Yesterday the AT light came on at 55 mph, and I felt and heard a CLUNK. I slowed down and it was fine. Then today on an uphill stretch it happened again at 40 mph.
The AT fluid level has always been good. I checked it again today and it is good.

The CLUNK kinda felt like it disengaged briefly and then re-engaged. Kinda like stepping on a clutch briefly in a standard shift car.

Any ideas? Is there any AT issues this model is known for? Any Service Bulletin etc?

Thanks for any help !

#2 ·
Update

Update:

ATF color looks good.
I did not apply the sniff test.
I dont know if it was ever changed. Mileage is 69K.

I took it to my mechanic yesterday. He pulled P0720 Output Speed Sensor, and P0841 TFP Sensor Switch. He referred me to his Transmission guy. It goes in Monday. I asked...Should I wear a diaper when I go there?....He said....Well, no-o-o-o, probably not.

So far around town, its OK under 30mph. The CLUNKS were at 55mph and then at 40.

When I told my mechanic that I saw nothing in the owners maintenance schedule about changing ATF, he said it is not our grandfathers ATF, and it costs $16 per Qt. (hawaii). Usually it never needs changing...*they say*...he told me.

Googling those codes....transmissionrepaircostguide .com says:

P0720. The output shaft speed sensor is located nearest the drive axle, and is used by the ECU to monitor the speed/RPM of the transmission output shaft. A P0720 diagnostic trouble code gets stored when the data coming from the OSS sensor doesn’t fall within the ECU’s preprogrammed parameters.

P0841. An automatic transmission needs a certain amount of hydraulic pressure in order to move gears around and propel you down the road. A P0841 DTC means that the transmission fluid pressure sensor which monitors the hydraulic pressure inside of the transmission is not performing according to the preset parameters.

Lots more at Links:

transmissionrepaircostguide .com/p0720/

transmissionrepaircostguide .com/p0841/

Until Monday's shop stop...Stay Tuned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.