Project JFT Luce - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2007, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Silver Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well, life has certainly been better.
today we put a new radiator because the crap plastic one was stuffed, we flushed the cooling system and did an oil change.
the engine was tapping like crazy even after 15mins the oil treatment. so i embarked on taking the rocker cover off to see what was going on.

This is what i was faced with. RIP JFT.

thats right. the rocker shaft had completely broken off.

so, the plan for now is to get another JFT motor and swap that in with a write up.

- Mazda HC 1989 929 - 3L DOHC 5 Speed, Coilovers, 18 inch Rays Engineering Gram Evo 4s, Torsen LSD < Getting 1JZ-GTE love soon

- Datsun 1600, 110rwkw Hot L20B, 75 Wade cam, ported, polished, balanced, bigger valves, close ratio 5 speed, 4.11 locker. 13.8 sec 1/4 mile

- Mazda HC 1990 929 V6 JFT Turbo conversion, Torsen LSD, Tein HR Coilovers, 17 inch Racing Harts, Front mount intercooler.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2007, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
****.. nice.... rofl
i took my covers off and it was all nice and shiny and gold and clean inside...

Old 02-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Mazda Newbie

is there more damage done or can you just change the rocker shaft or even the head and clean up?

chuk
June 90 929 HC Hardtop
DOHC V6
Niagara Silver Metallic Clearcoat

I am not delusional, my therapist told me so.
( the voices in my head beg to differ)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

a excellent site about Mazda&#39;s
with Luce, Cosmo, RX7 sections,
check it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

Garage
finaly some one with JFT

vertually all mechanical parts will fit from JE, so get a new rocker shaft from local yard (cams might be different)

dizzy is different - its a combination of SOHC and DOHC (JF-07 part number) the cap is DOHC and Rotor is SOHC

Air flow is different and is impossible to find, so take care of it

the throttle body boot is BIG problem, (1) very weak and (2) impossible to find, came down to welding oval section to cooler pipe and using &#39;stretched beyond its capobilities 3.5in silicone section

while you have valve cover off get the PCV and dizzy plugs on the back of the drivers head, get some silicone o-rings as rubber will leak in 2 months

would not recomend getting boost higher then 1 bar at 1.1 creeps upto 1.3 and boost cut is a nightmare - will print ADZAM on your forehead, and hit it three times you will need to shut the engine off or the buzzer will not shutup

look after electronics as many of them are hard to find if at all.

good to have someone finaly dirtying therir hands with JFT

Old 02-17-2007, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Silver Member

Thankyou for the info matsuda9, it is going to come in useful in the comming weeks.
i dont know wether or not the engine is salvageable or not.

what i am thinking of doing is buying a JFT front cut off a importer here so we will have spare electronics and piping etc etc. The front cut had 72,000 on the clock so im thinking that might be a 1/2 decent motor. So we will probably have the turbo gear for sale soon.

Since we will most likely be doing a full transplant i will have a writeup here with all the things we find just as a reference for other people doing the same thing.

maybe while all this is happening it would be a good time to put a front mount in.

- Mazda HC 1989 929 - 3L DOHC 5 Speed, Coilovers, 18 inch Rays Engineering Gram Evo 4s, Torsen LSD < Getting 1JZ-GTE love soon

- Datsun 1600, 110rwkw Hot L20B, 75 Wade cam, ported, polished, balanced, bigger valves, close ratio 5 speed, 4.11 locker. 13.8 sec 1/4 mile

- Mazda HC 1990 929 V6 JFT Turbo conversion, Torsen LSD, Tein HR Coilovers, 17 inch Racing Harts, Front mount intercooler.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

Garage
not much room there for front mount, but factory is a good cooler, its about 2JZ supra size, with no radiator or anything else heating it up, unless you put electric fans in straight away i wouldn&#39;t put the front mount on.... this engine runs hot.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Silver Member

i see, i must admit im not looking forward to actually doing this engine change but i am looking forward to seeing the finished product.
So now im going on a hunt for JFT information.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Silver Member

ok. ordered the whole front cut. going down tomorrow and putting a deposit on it and hopfully picking it up Saturday.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:59 PM
Gold Member

Send a message via AIM to dmeetro
so wait did you just buy this jft... .if not how long have you had it?

&#39;01 Ram 3500 5.9 auto
&#39;93 SHO 3.2 mtx

Old 02-19-2007, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Silver Member

yeah dima i bought a Luce Limited JFT to add to the collection, to my suprise the engine was ******.

so now it has become a project

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List