Mazda World Forum banner

New to Mazdas--any issues with the CX-5 I should know about?

7K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  davmac 
#1 ·
Greetings!

I'm thinking about buying a new or lightly used (2018 or 2017) CX-5. Are there any issues/maintenence things that I should be on the lookout for? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
I am 2019 CX5 owner and found the following important issues that matter to safety:

1. The driver seat is short with inadequate support to the thighs which makes for a very uncomfortable drive most of the time. I tried adjusting the backrest to see it that would help; no real improvement.

2. Heating and AC controls are positioned too low on the center console which makes the driver having to lean forward to reach but most importantly, forces the driver to take eyes of the road to a much greater degree than if the heating/AC control was closer to the top of the center console. This is a critically important safety issue as I already have had a couple of close calls
3. With below zero temperatures, the rear door wiper does not make proper contact with the door glass. This makes the wiper almost completely useless and makes it very difficult to see through the rear door glass using the rear-view mirror.

So be warned if you are considering getting a CX5. Maybe the problems I am having described above is limited to 2019 only, I don't know. Good luck.

Sal

#3 ·
I have owned a 2013 CX5 and now a 2016 CX5 and I live in Minnesota. Average winter temp is around negative 5 and windchill factor can be as cold as negative 40 or colder. I have found that with ANY car I drive the windshield/rear wipers lose contact when the defrost isn't warming the windows.

I am 5'1" and have never found the seats to be uncomfortable at all. Same for the controls, they are positioned nicely. I'm actually a little jealous of the person that finds them too low.

My first CX5 was a Touring model, this 2016 CX5 is a Grand Touring model. I highly recommend the Grand Touring. It has leather seats, with butt warmers, navigation, and remote start. It is always warm and ready to go when I am. LOVE my CX5

#4 ·
I just bought a '17. No issues with HVAC control location. Can't speak to the rear wiper in below zero conditions, but that would seem fixable with a winter or silicone blade.

I do have a slight issue with the stiffness of the seat bottom bolsters--too high and stiff. The combo presses into my thighs and is fatiguing after an hour of driving. I'm 6'-0" and 215. Am looking at options to get that tamed.

Otherwise no complaints.

#5 ·
I have a '17 model and we love it. The only minor issue is with the navigation/info-tainment system. The screen is only populated to the center when using Sirius/FM and the GPS system is antiquated. Entering a destination can take longer than expected. Saved locations are not sorted alphabetically or by distance. We have old Garmin's that are far more advanced.

Also, the new map update is in 32 bit code and new Apple Mac operating systems use 32bit. I recently wrote to the president of Mazda and have not received a response.

#6 ·
That first response post - wow Sal - I'm sorry your new car is so disappointing and uncomfortable. I would challenge the claim of discomfort and switch placement as a safety concern - but it is truly too bad the car disappoints.
My experience with ownership of a 2018 CX-5 is far more positive. My wife is the primary driver and she loves the car.
To the OP: Definitely drive one to see if you are comfortable. My take: enough power even with the NA motor, quiet, comfortable and good gas mileage for a vehicle of its size and utility.
Complaints about the nav? The solution is a quality cell phone holder (I like my proclip) or add apple play so your phone screen and apps are on the car touch screen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.