LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Duncan Send a message via Yahoo to Duncan
Quote:
This topic has been discussed numerous times actually. Collectively there are hundreds of registered memembers. But as can be seen, only a small few actually post here. Bottom line up front, this site is mediocore, because it tries to focus on all Mazdas! When there are more than enough model specific forums available, that's been around longer than MW. Hence, its gonna be nearly impossible to convince, members of these forums to register here, and contribute regulary at MW.

When this site was, www.mazdamillenia.org it was already experiencing lots of growing pains. But these growing pains worsened when the decision to change the site to www.mazdaworld.org was made. It also doesn't help much that the majority of the members here are "post-whores", and simply use the site as though it is a chatroom!
[/b]
...said the guy with a Mitsubishi Eclipse. But at least you're still active here, and that's what matters.

I'll put it this way. The site sorely lacks what is generally called "content". Sure, we're packed to the rafters with filler, but there's very little else to work with - and what is available gets quickly subsumed by (as I've mentioned before) mindless chatter about anything and everything BESIDES the original topic.

I have a couple of projects in mind that I'll be posting up during the spring, mainly of a historical/fact-finding nature (history of the Capella/626 line, for starters). I'm also going to be working on a few issues with my own car over the next few months, including (hopefully) a general sound system installation and perhaps a homemade CAI setup.

It is with endeavors like these that, hopefully, we can attract new members to the site. There have been many helpful tidbits posted in the Millenia section, of course - but, pray tell, how would you even BEGIN to find them within the avalanche of randomness?

Post real content, and we'll get real members. It's about that easy. Not that I don't love the current crowd, of course, but this site has to begin living up to its well-chosen name at some point...

One other quick thing - yes, it's a fabulous thing to have sites dedicated to one model and one model only. But the problem is that those sites are WAY too "clubby" - in effect, they have real problems focusing on anything outside their own particular car's niche.

The beauty of this site is the camaraderie it builds. It goes beyond just parts-sharing or similar maintenance issues, though - as a more diverse group, we could have the power to influence our vehicle-maker of choice into making decisions they might otherwise never consider, or to force them to stand up for our rights as consumers if need be.

Can you imagine that happening under the old Mazda Millenia site? A tiny group of fanatics worshipping a dead model on a discontinued platform and engine combo? No sway there, methinks.

Think about it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2000 Mazda 626 LX V6 - "Ella"
1989 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 4.0 Litre - "Amy"
For interesting insights about license plates...check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with many here about the problems of Mazdaworld. There is just so little content for us to cover. The largest group here is the millenia contention. I was immediately drawn to the site because there was no where else to go and this was closer to home than the sites I frequented before. Fortunately or unfortunately the group has a very narrow minded idea about what the millenia should and should not be. Very few of us on this board as a whole do a lot with the cars we have. When the whole list of mods consist of

Rims
Springs
Tires
Tint
Lights-One of our better topics
Audio-Also good
CAI-if you have a L
Exhaust
ECU-if you have a S

When you combine the lack of subject matter with the excessive amount of whoring I can see how new comers might not want to be a big part beyond the occasional look see. Maybe some T-shirts may help advertise. I say T-shirts because don't think I am putting a sticker on my car. Please don't think that I don't love the site because I do. I just would like to see things grow like everyone else. I know when I started on MW there were not a lot millies around here. Well the numbers have grown dramatically and the number of Mazdas being driven period has dramatically increased. We just need to finfd somehow to tap into that growth and I don't think all the whoring is how to go about it. Sorry for the length.

M

95 Millenia w/ J-spec cams, 64 mm TB, UOR pulley, Outlaw Engineering phenolic IM spacers, NGK wires, J/K Autosports CAI, Custom Magnaflow 2.5 inch catback exhaust, Magnaflow 2.5/18 in Free Flow Cat, Eibach springs, J-spec rear sway bar, Hayden 678 tranny cooler, Goodridge SS Braided Brake Lines, KVR crossdrilled rotors, Porterfield Carbon Fiber Pads, Painted Ford Blue calipers, Centerline Impulse Rims, 225/45/17 Toyo T1S tires, and 35% tint. Alpine Head Unit. Pioneer 6x9 in rear deck. !2 in Infinity Sub/ w Bazooka Amp

03 Protege 5 w/E-bay CAI, Magnaflow 2.25 in catback exhaust, Konig Holes Rims, 205/40/17 Toyo Proxes 4, and 35% tint, Eibach springs on the rear and the fronts waiting for a warm day to install.

Give me suggestions to what you think next performance mod ought to be.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 09:28 AM

M. Love that Milly !! Champagne Silver...oh my !!

There isn't a site for the Xedos in the UK and it looks like I'm the only representative from the UK active at the moment on MW but I have to agree with Mymellinie here.

It would be a lot better if the site was more structured rather than being led by new forum topics which are either repeated, ignored or abused to death !

Still a great site though...has the makings of greatness.

[ Mazda Xedos 9 Miller / Ford Scorpio 2.3i Ultima Auto ]

<span style="color:#000000">SECOND member of the MazdaWorld Old Boys Team !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Dall. Actually the only colors I have ever seen that I would not buy on a millenia was a shark grey and a purplish blue that was on the car when they were first released in the U.S. I have never seen those colors since that firs year. As for the site, I believe regardless of the millenie demise from the showroom. They seem to be making a resurgence from the used car market. I have never seen so many of them as I see now. Due to this MW wiil continue to grow on the back of the millenia most likely.

M

95 Millenia w/ J-spec cams, 64 mm TB, UOR pulley, Outlaw Engineering phenolic IM spacers, NGK wires, J/K Autosports CAI, Custom Magnaflow 2.5 inch catback exhaust, Magnaflow 2.5/18 in Free Flow Cat, Eibach springs, J-spec rear sway bar, Hayden 678 tranny cooler, Goodridge SS Braided Brake Lines, KVR crossdrilled rotors, Porterfield Carbon Fiber Pads, Painted Ford Blue calipers, Centerline Impulse Rims, 225/45/17 Toyo T1S tires, and 35% tint. Alpine Head Unit. Pioneer 6x9 in rear deck. !2 in Infinity Sub/ w Bazooka Amp

03 Protege 5 w/E-bay CAI, Magnaflow 2.25 in catback exhaust, Konig Holes Rims, 205/40/17 Toyo Proxes 4, and 35% tint, Eibach springs on the rear and the fronts waiting for a warm day to install.

Give me suggestions to what you think next performance mod ought to be.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

Send a message via MSN to Troutman
Wow, a shark grey. That is the one and only time I would condone a shark fin antenna on a Eunie.

|
<°))))))><
|
roofadoofalus: he calls it a ***** and proceeds to make 300 posts on MW
j-allan: Thou must disguise thine evil deeds under a cloak of submission. Once the alarms have silenced, the evil fish can swim uninhibited throughout the vast ocean, leaving a trail of destruction behind him.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks Dall. Actually the only colors I have ever seen that I would not buy on a millenia was a shark grey and a purplish blue that was on the car when they were first released in the U.S. I have never seen those colors since that firs year. As for the site, I believe regardless of the millenie demise from the showroom. They seem to be making a resurgence from the used car market. I have never seen so many of them as I see now. Due to this MW wiil continue to grow on the back of the millenia most likely.

M [/b]
Agreed, M. I think it&#39;s because the Milly has a low resale price, that it has finally become affordable to mainstream buyers. People like Dallas are good to have, as we don&#39;t have much support from the Xedos contingent (all models). If we are part of other forums, shameless MW banners in our sigs can help. Different choices such as T-shirts and stickers can cater to a wider variety of members. Advertising should be subtle, though. We don&#39;t want to cheapen the site by over zealous marketing (passing out flyers on a street corner, for example)
While I agree completely with a formal structure, the tough part is finding the right balance. Once a person finds all of the information they need, thats it, they&#39;re gone. Some (not all) of the mindless banter is what keeps this site active and entertaining. One idea would be to lighten up on the "noob" hiearchy. I have seen before if a person recently joins this site and tries to provide information, they get shut down harshly if they are wrong, or outright ignored. Kinda takes away any incentive for them to stick around. First impressions are important. Maybe we could have a dedicated introduction forum in the general category, or sub-forum in the lounge? Sometimes a person posts a hello thread, and it doesn&#39;t get seen by many members, or gets whored to ****, and the person may feel unwelcome by the lack of response. Just throwing out ideas.

BTW, pretty soon it would be more profitable than drug dealing to sell 99-00 Millenia lights on a street corner.

&#39;95 Sand Mica Milly L, 68k miles: &#39;99 interior chrome accents, LED interiors, LED reverse lights, LED corner/side markers, red tinted rear turn signals,

On it&#39;s way.....99-00 turn signals, Phillips 4300k hid, LED dash bulbs
------------------------------------------MAZDAWORLD WISDOM---------------------------------------------------------
Troutman: "This cannot be; we&#39;re talking about saving the world and chicks with dicks at the same time."
MTS: "Looking in the mirror again?" L<span style="color:#ff6666">a<span style="color:#33ccff">t<span style="color:#ffff00">i<span style="color:#ff6600">no: "No. I broke it last time, remember?" MTS: "That explains the seven years bad luck for MazdaWorld"
Malice: "Doing this to a Millenia and saying it&#39;s because you like the car is like beating your girlfriend senseless and saying it&#39;s because you love her...."

What did I say about letting you drive?
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 11:53 PM

Exactly J. You&#39;ve summed it up very well. That was the point I was trying to make. If you monitor the new member count, it is increasing every day but it is not always reflected in the different number of people who post on MW.

While the banter may be entertaining at times, people join because they have a Mazda and want to maintain it as long as possible without being fleeced all the while.

People need information and I should imagine they could sometimes feel intimidated by the tone of the thread. So, after they may have extracted whatever information they need that&#39;s it, they&#39;re gone as invariably the thread has been &#39;whored&#39; as you guys put it and thus the necessity and opportunity to contribute is lost.

I definitely think the &#39;Mazda Newbie&#39; labelling should go as it just reinforces this unhealthy implied hierarchical structure that exists within MW.

BTW M. Wanna trade ??

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 04:05 AM
Platinum Member

Send a message via MSN to Duncan Send a message via Yahoo to Duncan
Quote:
Exactly J. You&#39;ve summed it up very well. That was the point I was trying to make. If you monitor the new member count, it is increasing every day but it is not always reflected in the different number of people who post on MW.[/b]
Correct, sir.

Quote:
While the banter may be entertaining at times, people join because they have a Mazda and want to maintain it as long as possible without being fleeced all the while.[/b]
If you&#39;ve been here as long as I have, it&#39;s no longer entertaining. In fact, it&#39;s depressing and a bit moronic.

Quote:
People need information and I should imagine they could sometimes feel intimidated by the tone of the thread. So, after they may have extracted whatever information they need that&#39;s it, they&#39;re gone as invariably the thread has been &#39;whored&#39; as you guys put it and thus the necessity and opportunity to contribute is lost.[/b]
Again correct, sir.

Quote:
I definitely think the &#39;Mazda Newbie&#39; labelling should go as it just reinforces this unhealthy implied hierarchical structure that exists within MW.[/b]
We have a structure? No seriously, I think you have a good point there. Maybe change it to "Mazda Fan" or something more innocuous - "Newbie" is pretty rough.

2000 Mazda 626 LX V6 - "Ella"
1989 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 4.0 Litre - "Amy"
For interesting insights about license plates...check out
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 05:03 AM

So where does MazdaWorld go from here ? We need to widen participation. If more people felt they "belong", I&#39;m sure they would be more inclined to make financial contributions and impart valuable information, don&#39;t you think ?

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Banned

Hmmmmm.... maybe a monitary contribution is needed to get back on after a serious banning. Oops what I am saying? I am an offender also. But it would help the coffers of the MW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page