automatic car wash, safe for your car? - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking of going to the auto wash to get my car washed, is it safe? to be quite frank, i am too lazy to manually clean the car myself if i can just pay 7 bucks and have it cleaned for me automatically. but im worried if the things can scratch the car or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member

i cant wait for BHR to read this

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 09:17 AM
Banned

Safe for scratching your paint all to ****!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

doh

|
|
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 12:28 AM
Mazda Newbie

Sure, it's safe, depending on how you care about your car. It's not going to negatively affect the performance of your car or overall body structure (as long as no machine falls on you) but it will use uber harsh chemicals to clean the dirt off the car, do a shotty job, and look way worse then if you just got off of your ass and detailed your own car.

I wouldn't ever do it in my Lexus, but would reluctantly do it in a pinch in my built Jeep Wrangler.
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

nifty

|
|
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 10:14 AM
Gold Member

depends on what kind of machines. most of the gas station washers use plastic brushes, they will scratch. the more sophisticated ones use synthetic materials that are the same as a chamois. i take our cars there all the time, get a full service wash, then bring it home and zaino it. no scratches, nada, zilch. but that is partly because of the zaino, finest protection out there. zaino since brand new, nothing sticks to it.
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 07:52 PM

Touchless car washes use harsh chemicals to clean your car, so they strip off your protectants (if you took the time to ever wax/seal your car).
Car washes that use brushes will scratch your car. It doesn't matter whether they use nylon brushes or a chamois-type brush. The brushes take the dirt off of the nasty shitbox in front of you, and then slap that dirt right back on your car. It WILL scratch. Regardless of what type of protectant you have. Waxes and sealants can't prevent scratches. They can at best provide a slick surface to encourage dirt and other contaminants to slide off the paint easier.

post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd stay away from anything but brushless ones. Last time I went through one of those, my paint looked like someone washed my car with steel wool and Ajax. It was clean though...

post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:00 AM
Gold Member

Send a message via AIM to milly_engr Send a message via MSN to milly_engr Send a message via Yahoo to milly_engr
last time i went to a car wash, the guy had an accent, he said "nuetral no brake" and I was like whatever! Next thing I know my car feel like it's being jacked up! When I checked it, the molding had been all scratched up!! I was hot!!

<span style="font-family:Times">Exterior Mods
99/00 Tail Lights & front turn signals with Chrome turn signal bulbs * 20-LED Superwhite Light Tower Reverse Lights * Sylvania Silverstar lows and fogs * 35% Tint on back and side windows * Limo tinted Sunroof & 5% cutdown below the AS1 line * Chrome Plated License Plate Frames * Superwhite 6-LED license plate bulbs * Red Painted Calipers * Sunroof wind deflector * Fondmetal 9x (18 x 8) wheels on Toyo Proxes 4 (235/40-18) Tires * Red Wire Loom under the hood * Clear side markers with Amber bulbs

Leader & Originator of taking out the seats to clean the carpet under them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page