what model to purchase - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm looking to buy a USED mazda. I want four door, around $9000, AT, and some good horse power. With lowish miles

But everytime I browse cars on the web I get confused about what model has what.

What I would really like to know is, what model is what. What's the real difference between the LX, DX ES. Which has the v6, how many horse power each one has etc etc.
I'm not so much interested in the other feature, that is where I'll have to cut costs, but I need a list which tells me about the model types.

I'm looking at years 1997-current.

Can anybody point me to a reference, or even quickly list what they know about the
626, Protege LX DX ES etc to help me look at the right cars.

Thanks very much
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 05:48 PM
Silver Member

How bout size??

Do you like lots o' room, or leather?

'95 2.5lThule Rack,and no third brake light!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile Internet?Visit www.pangeaproductions.net/wap
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

small, I don't need a big car. I have to park it somewhere in San Francisco :-)
Couldn't care less about the style of interior. CD player if possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member

Send a message via MSN to Duncan Send a message via Yahoo to Duncan
Protege is definitely smaller - more Civic-sized, if that helps any. Engines are as follows:

1999-2000 DX, LX: 1.6-liter DOHC four
1999-2000 LX 2.0 and ES: 2.0-liter DOHC four
2001-2003 DX, LX, ES, MP3: 2.0-liter DOHC four
2003 MazdaSpeed: 2.0-liter DOHC turbo four

Any Protege, save for the performance-oriented MP3 and MazdaSpeed, could be equipped with either five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmission. Most DX and LX models carry the auto, while most ES models have the stick. Most Proteges have cloth interior, though ES models had the option of leather (though I've never seen one with it myself). 2.0-liter models generally perform much better than 1.6 versions, which only put out a little over 100hp. Manual shift will always bring better performance here, no matter what engine you have.

626 is about the same size and capacity as a Ford Contour. Engines are as follows:

DX, LX: 2.0-liter DOHC four
LX V6, ES: 2.5-liter DOHC V6

DX models are very bare-bones, with crank windows and very few amenities. LX adds a little more stuff, and is often found equipped with the Power Package (adding power windows, locks, mirrors, and a power driver's seat). ES models are basically loaded, with the Power Package standard and optional leather available. Any 626 model can be found with either a five-speed stick or four-speed auto. Fours are about evenly split between transmissions, while V6 models usually have the auto (if you want a V6 with a stick, you'll probably find it as a loaded ES and at a premium). All V6 models perform extremely well, while fours are best driven with manual transmission as the auto sucks too much power.

As a reference, I bought my 626 LX V6 (five-speed) for about $10k, with roughly 51000 miles on the clock. Most Proteges I've seen in the 2001-2003 era currently run anywhere from $11k to $15k depending on model and equipment.

Hope that helps!

2000 Mazda 626 LX V6 - "Ella"
1989 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 4.0 Litre - "Amy"
For interesting insights about license plates...check out
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Mazda Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MazdaDealer
1999-2000 DX, LX: 1.6-liter DOHC four
1999-2000 LX 2.0 and ES: 2.0-liter DOHC four
2001-2003 DX, LX, ES, MP3: 2.0-liter DOHC four
2003 MazdaSpeed: 2.0-liter DOHC turbo four

It is easy to get all of the different models confused. This is a good start to get familiar with the different engine and trim models. I happen to have a '02 Mazda Protege LX with 14K on her. She is a 5spd w/ PDL & PW +CD player. Like New. This one a 4 banger (4 cylinders). Never crashed and no paint. The best part is...$8,995.
Anyone needing more info or any tech questions feel free to E-Mail me.

-Alex

[FONT=Geneva]Alex
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

i would look into a millenia L

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page