Memory Saver when changing battery CX-5 ideas? - Mazda Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Memory Saver when changing battery CX-5 ideas?

About to swap out original battery and want to make sure my memory presets are maintained. I WAS going to do myself until I learned about what can happen if you just yank the old battery.

I really don't want to invest $ 150.00 in equipment I will not use again, but most the repair shops around here either have no idea how to retain memory or want to sell you a $200.00 battery (won't install parts you supply). Dealer wants $150.00 PLUS their battery.

Really would appreciate help with self swap. Don't mind a reasonable investment in equipment.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:22 AM
Mazda Newbie

You can buy an inexpensive OBD2 connector with a long cord and two battery clamps on the end (like jumper cables). Insert the OBD2 connector into your OBD port and connect the battery clamps to a battery in another vehicle or even a smaller 12V battery (like maybe a home alarm system). Then disconnect and remove your car battery that you want to change. This will save all your presets.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:41 PM
Mazda Newbie

Simple fix

I’ve used a simple fix for this problem on other make vehicles, but not yet on my new Mazda. However, I don’t see why it shouldn’t work with practically any vehicle .

The primary issue is that when the 12 volt power supply from your car battery is interrupted, everything in your vehicle’s volatile memory disappears. The simple solution is to make sure your electrical system “sees” a continuous 12 volt supply.

A small 12 volt battery, or even a 12 volt DC power adapter, connected as a slave in parallel with your car’s battery leads, will suffice. (That is, positive lead to positive lead and negative to negative.) I use alligator clips to attach the leads. Note: You must connect the slave before you remove the old car battery.

The slave doesn’t have to be another car battery, although I suppose it could be. The effective load is minuscule -- you just need enough to power the volatile memory -- so the slave battery can be quite small.

Honestly, smaller is better for safety reasons: accidentally touch together positive and negative leads on a small slave battery and you’ll get a spark. Do that with a slave car battery and it’ll likely ruin your day.

As long as you never break the physical connection of the slave battery to your car’s battery leads until the new battery is installed, the volatile memory should intact.

If anyone knows for sure that this won’t work on a Mazda, I’d appreciate some clarification on what I got wrong. Always ready to learn something new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page