LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mazda 6 2002 engine questions

New to mazda and the forum.
I bought my wife an 06 mazda 6 wagon at christmas which had some front accident damage. For the panels I bought another maxda 6 5 door from salvage auctions for the panels. My wife's car has been great. With a spare parts car hanging around, I just picked up an 02 sedan with an advertised blown motor and 9mths registration. The plan was, or could still be to swap in the motor from the parts car.On picking up the car it has a top end death rattle but still runs. My searches have steered me to the vvt. On looking at the vvt, externally I can see a round pin in the outer drum, which looks like it has something wedged in beside it, I'm assuming this is the pin which flogs out , also the exhaust cam has 1 side of the alignment slot broken away, so someone has been in there before although the advertised km on the odometer is 145KM. Plugs are all clean and the CEL isn't on. With a spanner on the inlet cam there is no resistance other than valve spring pressure to moving it through the range of the vvt, maybe this is normal with no oil pressure ? The plan could be to check I have oil pressure to the vvt and change out the VVT pulley, timing chain etc as required rather than change engines. Vlaves all seem to open and close, but not being familiar with these engines, unsure if there is more to the rattle.
Now for the easy questions,
1. how do I know I have a 2.0 or a 2.3 L engine.
2. Visually, the 06 auto parts car has coil on plug, and the 02 manual has a coil pack and leads. Any other obstacles in doing an engine swap other than componentry swaps?
3. is there a filter somewhere in the vvt oil pathway, or a quick way to check the vvt oil pressure and activator are working OK?

thanks
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Mazda Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
had a look around for a vvt filter today with no luck. Found a you tube showing a filter under a bolt near the solenoid, which my model doesnt have. Reading, the oil passage path changed throughout the 6 range, through the head on later models and through the cover on earlier cars like this. Solenoid moves ok with 12v. Took the cover off the vvt , 1 of the legs looks to be cracked at the base. No slack in timing chain or witness marks inside rocker cover, thinking I may get away with just the vvt gear assembly, friction washers and new crank bolt, does that sound minimum?

appreciate any answers to earlier questions.
Reading, there is mention of newer versions of the VVT gear assembly. local ebay lists a few assemblies and complete chain, guide and vvt kits, mostly from taiwan.
Any advice on where to get a good 1, or experience with any bad purchases.
Does oil pressure lock the vvt 1 way or other depending on solenoid position and should it be solid or have a lot of resistance when turning inlet cam with a spanner on a cold motor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page